Friday, October 16, 2009

Boycott Monster Energy

As you may have heard, Hansen Beverage Company, a massive corporation and the owner of the Monster Energy drink brand, has recently delivered a cease & desist letter to Rock Art Brewery, a tiny craft brewer in Morrisville, VT, over their Vermonster beer.  The letter states that Rock Art's brew will "undoubtedly create a likelihood of confusion" with the energy drink.  I'm not going to get into the merits of their claims other than to say it seems ridiculous to me that someone would confuse a beer with an energy drink.

More importantly, Hansen's legal action has threatened the existence of Rock Art and could result in the brewery's closing.  As a self-proclaimed honorary Vermonter (I'm a graduate of the University of Vermont) who has drank plenty of Rock Art beers in the past, I would hate to see this happen and as a result will be boycotting Monster along with my fellow craft beer bloggers and signing a petition to let Hansen know how I feel.  Hopefully, this will be enough to get Hansen to back off from their lawsuit and allow Rock Art to continue to operate.


No comments:

Post a Comment